Susan Gromis Kaplan
- Labor and Employment Law
- University of Pittsburgh, J.D., cum laude, 1979
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, B.A. in Psychology and Art History with honors, 1975
- Law Review 1977-1979, with Note Editor 1978-1979
- Honorable Samuel J. Roberts, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 1979-1980
- Pennsylvania and the U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Pittsburgh Law Review, Illinois Brick and the Congressional Response, 1978
- Authored a chapter of Discipline and Discharge in Arbitration, BNA, American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law, 1998
- On the Board of Directors of Pittsburgh Vision Services for ten years
- On the Board of Directors of the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and the Chairperson of the Personnel Committee for the past ten years
While maintaining longstanding and positive relationships with both her clients and adversaries, Susan Gromis Kaplan is valued for her analytical skills, integrity, and creativity in negotiating complex labor and employment challenges. Susan has been the head of the firm’s Labor and Employment Department for over twenty years.
For over thirty years, Susan has represented major supermarket chains, wholesale distribution centers, manufacturing and distribution firms, and other smaller businesses in all aspects of labor and employment issues, and they regard her as a trusted advisor and business partner. Susan has also handled discrimination cases, including sex, race, age, disability discrimination and sex harassment, on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants.
With her experience and expertise, she has handled numerous complex contract negotiations with labor unions, including withdrawal from multi-employer pension funds, and has negotiated attendance and drug and alcohol policies, including DOT-mandated policies. She has also participated in seminars for management on disciplinary counseling, social media and Wage and Hour issues.
Susan is also active in the local community. She has served on the Board of Directors of Pittsburgh Vision Services for ten years. She has also served on the Board of Directors of the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and serves as the Chairperson of the Personnel Committee for the past ten years.